The Brewmaster's Castle
The Historic Brewmaster’s Castle
By the early 1890’s, Heurich’s business was going well. He owned the largest brewery in Washington, DC, and was in the midst of acquiring properties throughout the District, which would make him one of the largest landowners in the city by 1900. Boosted by this success, he and Mathilde built their family home on a piece of property in Dupont Circle he had purchased with his first wife, Amelia Schnell, before her death. Designed by John Granville Meyer in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the Heurich mansion was constructed by German-American craftsmen and interior designers between 1892-1894.
The house was a technological marvel; it incorporated the most modern inventions of its day, including: indoor plumbing, pneumatic communication systems, combination gas and electric lighting fixtures, and later a central vacuum system and electric call bells. Most notably, it was the first fireproof residence in Washington, DC, built out of iron and concrete, and none of its 15 fireplaces has ever been used. The mansion’s 31-rooms are filled with hand-carved fireplaces with individually carved mantles and cast bronze fire backs. Hand-painted ceiling canvases, luxurious furnishings, and objects collected through a lifetime of travel fill the house. The home is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and design, the majority of which endures in its original condition.
Today, the property is owned by the Heurich House Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.